[Skip to content]

Wednesday 21 August 2019
Search our Site
A patient's guide to going private
Private treatment

Download guide

Private treatment: What happens if something goes wrong?

Guide to going private - upset woman

All operations carry some risk and while it is hoped that all medical, dental, or cosmetic procedures will go to plan, even with a minor procedure it is wise to exercise some caution.  Plan properly for the recovery period and know what possible complications could arise.  Immediate postoperative problems will be solved during a patient’s stay in the hospital so it is good to allow some flexibility to your schedule - just in case - and ask your doctor for detailed instructions and to explain what is normal and what is not for the days following the surgery.

If something does go wrong, if you are unhappy with your surgery or it has been badly performed talk to your surgeon immediately to seek a resolution.  If you are unhappy with the service you receive you should speak to the healthcare professional, hospital or clinic concerned straight away as this is often the most effective and fastest way to sort things out.  If infections or other problems occur afterwards you should get in touch with the provider and follow their instructions.  For more formal complaints about your treatment, see the section about how to complain about private treatment.
Get a quote

Get a quote for private treatment

We will forward your request for further information, a quotation or an indicative cost for private hospital treatment to three providers of private healthcare services in your local area.

Complete the enquiry form...


Find a service

Find a private hospital


Use our online database to search for a private hospital in your area. You can view hospital profiles and details of what they have to offer.

Search for a private hospital....




Find a consultant

Are you looking for a private specialist or private consultant in the UK? We maintain a database of around 2,500 UK specialists in private practice. You can search by specialty or postcode.

Search for a private consultant....